It’s been 12 weeks since the release of ChatGPT to the public, and the dawn of an age of accelerated experimentation. Direct access to chatbot tech has inspired applications assisting in the personal, creative, and professional pursuits of anyone with an Internet connection.
The implications for digital marketing and SEO are nothing short of exciting, and Lamark is embracing a future where we work smarter, analyze faster, and succeed stronger.
The Benefits and Challenges of ChatGPT for SEO
AI in SEO isn’t new - tools have long relied on automation, as in Crawl Analysis performed by Screaming Frog, or AI-powered insights in Google Analytics Intelligence – but AI is on the tip of all tongues when it comes to content creation because open-source, free access to GPT-3 has changed the conversation.
And content creation isn’t the only way to take advantage of ChatGPT in an SEO workflow.
ChatGPT Benefits for SEO
ChatGPT can be used to assist in the following key areas and activities.
- Keyword research: automate discovery of new keywords, cluster keywords into “buckets,” predict search volume trends, and analyze search intent or sentiment
- Content workflow: brainstorm topic ideas, draft outlines, learn styleguides and draft copy
- Website optimization: write meta tags, analyze phrase usage and density
- Backlink analysis: identify link targets, draft outreach correspondence, analyze link profiles, and perform competitive analysis
AI is also assisting us in finding new ways to more easily explain some of the intricacies of SEO.
Drawbacks of ChatGPT for SEO & Content
There is no doubt the future of SEO includes ChatGPT and its inevitable descendants, so navigating the pitfalls of AI is paramount in ensuring quality service to our clients. The rapid adoption of chatbot tech has led to some entertaining headlines recently, demonstrating the need for caution.
We’re aware today that ChatGPT has its limitations – and as chatbots learn, we must learn how to identify and adapt to challenges, such as:
- Complexity: AI tech is constantly evolving, and may be unpredictable
- Specialized expertise: users must learn to master inputs to maximize the applications for SEO and content optimization
- Lack of accuracy: chatbots do not have methods of verifying facts (yet)
- Quality input/output: AI depends on quality data (the more, the better) to perform optimally
- Rate of adoption: the current frenzy means a high quantity of AI-output which will flood search engines, and carries the risk of homogenization as AI-generated content becomes more largely based on other AI-generated content
Enhanced, Not Exchanged
Despite some sensational headlines, robots will continue to be a tool for human use, not a replacement for the experience, expertise, authority and trust possessed by a human being.
Lamark is embracing our core value of Learning and taking a future-forward approach to AI adoption. Our SEO team has used AI for some time, and is excited about the potential we can unlock with ChatGPT.
The Springboard for a New Specialization
One key to SEO success is predicting changes in algorithms and user behavior. So, it’s second nature for us to think ahead. That’s why we’re training our team to become ChatGPT Specialists.
Incorporating AI into SEO Process
Our team has hypotheses on how ChatGPT integration can optimize efficiency. We are experimenting with the following applications using test material.
|Prompt optimization||Various SEO requests, e.g. metadata||Various, e.g. rewritten title tags, CTAs, etc.|
|AI training||Brand and style guides, content feedback, etc.||“client database” capable of drafting various content types|
|Content revisions||Drafted copy + client comments||Revises copy|
|Insight/activity reporting||Performance data, “why do X for SEO”||Simplified explanations to core SEO concepts|
|Content strategy||Keywords, content goals||Topics, keyword clusters, content outlines|
|Client data comparison||Client name + facts||AI’s “knowledge” of business (can be used to identify discrepancies)|
A Potential Content Workflow Model
As we experiment with each of these capabilities, we foresee a future workflow with AI assistance:
- AI training: input client brand and style guidelines
- Topic ideation: AI + specialist expertise used to generate content topics
- Strategy briefing: AI generates Lamark’s content strategy document for alignment and approval
- Content outline: briefs are input to generate outlines
- Content creation: SEO Content Specialists use AI to assist in drafting content
- Fact-checking: tools are used to ensure accuracy
- Plagiarism checking: tools are used to ensure originality
- Peer review and editing: internal proofing and editing
- AI-detection: tools are used to analyze readability and detect AI-generated content
- SEO review: SEO Specialists review and optimize content
- Client review: client stakeholders review and provide feedback or approval
- Feedback training: client feedback is input into AI for future reference
You may notice that this workflow does not include full drafts generated by AI, followed by human editing. At the time of this writing, our hypothesis is that full editing of AI-generated drafts will not create efficiency for our SEO Content Specialists.
It is also our belief that content that rises to the top of search engines will require a “human touch” that AI cannot replicate. While AI can regurgitate information, it lacks the ability to reflect and apply real-life experience. In our continued efforts to create content that resonates with users (and in turn, search engines), it is important that the content continues to offer something more than semantic relevance.
Eager to Experiment?
Ready to test how ChatGPT can Unlock Potential™ together? Contact your Client Experience Executive or Executive Sponsor to explore how we can experiment together.